Sunday, June 13, 2010

Where will I meet her?


My best friend and I love to ask silly questions to each other. We basically live life as though it were one long slumber party. You know what I mean. It's those questions you ask at a sleepover: If you could be trapped on a desert island with one girl, If you could eat only one food for the rest of your life, If you could......You get the picture. Well, the other day I had a question for my friend. The question was, "Where do you think you'll meet your future wife?" Basically I was asking where you'd ideally meet the woman you'd be willing to spend the rest of your life loving.

Most of the time when I ask hypothetical questions, I am hoping the person I ask will turn the question back on me so that I can elaborate on my pre-thought out and clever answer (well, I usually think it's clever). So naturally when I asked my best friend the question I was ready with my response. My answer to where I thought I'd meet my future wife was well thought out. I said I saw myself meeting her volunteering somewhere, either with people in need or the homeless or with people (probably children) who are cognitively challenged. I answered this way because these are things I know I want in my future wife. I want someone who cares. Someone who isn't selfish and considers other people's needs above her own. Someone who is intimately acquainted with the hurt and pain in the world and doesn't turn a blind eye to it. I don't believe that the world's problems can be fixed in my lifetime, but I do believe that I am responsible for doing my part to end them. And I think the perfect place to find the person who will fight by my side in this battle against injustice is probably somewhere volunteering. But things like this are serendipitous and they must remain that way or they won't be special.







No comments:

Post a Comment